Government of Western Australia Drug and Alcohol Office

The law

Cannabis laws in WA

Western Australia's current cannabis laws came into effect on 1 August 2011.   Under the laws, people apprehended for simple cannabis offences by police, may be issued a Cannabis Intervention Requirement (CIR).  A person who has been given a CIR will be required to book and complete a Cannabis Intervention Session (CIS) within 28 days. For bookings call the Cannabis Intervention Session Booking Service on 1800 722 362, 7:00am - 7:00 pm, 7 days a week

It is also against the law to sell ‘cannabis smoking paraphernalia’ (eg. bongs) or to display them for sale in a shop or retail outlet.

For more information about cannabis laws, download the Cannabis Laws in Western Australia booklet. (PDF 3MB).

Drugs and the law

The Misuse of Drugs Act 1981 is in place to prevent the misuse of certain drugs and plants.

Illegal drug use, possession, manufacture or supply can carry heavy fines and/or prison sentences. Penalties range from a $2,000 fine and/or two years prison to a $100,000 fine and/or 25 years imprisonment.

Any person convicted of a drug offence will receive a criminal record. This can make it difficult to get a job, credit or visas for travel.

If you have a drug problem and have been charged with an offence, the WA Diversion Program aims to reduce crime by diverting offenders with drug use problems away from the criminal justice system and into treatment.

Alcohol and the law

The Liquor Control Act 1988 regulates the sale, supply and consumption of alcohol, the use of premises on which alcohol is sold and the services and facilities provided in conjunction with, or ancillary to the sale of liquor, in order to minimise harm or ill-health caused by the consumption of alcohol.

The Director of Liquor Licensing has developed policy guidelines to support the objectives of the Liquor Control Act 1988 and help licensees meet their regulatory requirements.

For more information about liquor licensing in Western Australia, see the liquor section of the Department of Racing, Gaming and Liquor website, or take a look at Alcohol. Think Again.

Last updated on 15 July 2014