Government of Western Australia Drug and Alcohol Office

Help for Aboriginal people

Aboriginal people are not always comfortable accessing some alcohol and other drug services because they’re worried the services won’t suit them or their culture

But culturally secure services for Aboriginal people are available.

Services for Aboriginal people

In Perth, the Aboriginal Alcohol and Drug Service provides counselling, education programs and support to Aboriginal people and their families.

Many of the community drug services have Aboriginal workers, including those services in the Kimberley, Pilbara, Mid West, Great Southern, South West and Goldfields regions.

Cyrenian House and Palmerston Association have residential programs for Aboriginal people as well as Aboriginal workers.

The Drug and Alcohol Office's Aboriginal Withdrawal Unit provides medically supervised alcohol and other drug withdrawal in a culturally secure environment that is staffed by Aboriginal workers.

And for young people the Drug and Alcohol Youth Service provides an Aboriginal mentor as part of its program.

In the Kimberley region the Milliya Rumurra Aboriginal Corporation in Broome and the Ngnowar Aerwah Aboriginal Corporation in Wyndham provide rehabilitation services.

If you have been charged with a minor drug offence there are court diversion programs for Aboriginal people including the Indigenous Diversion Program.

All of these services and programs are listed in our Service Directory.

For more information, or help finding the right service for you, contact the Alcohol and Drug Support Line on (08) 9442 5000, country callers 1800 198 024, or email

Last updated on 25 July 2015